Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Looking back at Feb 6th

Some interesting scores:

Wake Forest 87 Winston Salem State 71
I'm just curious 1) how did the Rams stay with Wake so long 2) how terrible really is Wake this season 3) how did this team beat Georgia Tech? I guess that's what happens when 9 out of your top 11 in minutes played are freshmen or sophomores.

Georgia Tech 74 N.C. State 65
I'm not surprised Georgia Tech won as I thought this game was a toss up to begin with, but it was disappointing to see the Wolfpack blow such a big lead. Georgia Tech's transition defense was absolutely terrible in the first half but they really put the clamps down in the second half ( particularly on Atsur ). Crittenton clearly outmatched him this game and it's not a shock that Atsur et al wore down in the second half with only one sub available. I realize Horner left early with a nose injury, but man, this team really needs some depth. I'm sure J.J. Hickson might help out with that next year.

Missouri 77 Iowa State 55

I know Iowa State hasn't been playing well recently, but it was pretty surprising to see Mizzou absolutely blitz them like this at their own place - particularly with the Tigers not playing all that well themselves. When Mike Anderson gets his own players in place for his system, Missouri is going to be tough to beat.

Nebraska 61 Texas Tech 59
Nebraska is really improving under Sadler and Texas Tech's Charles Burgess was probably out of bounds when "saving" the ball, but still, how did this happen? This has got to put Tech out of the tournament for now with four straight losses and five out of their last seven.

Virginia 69 Maryland 65
Another huge win for Virginia. I can't believe how they pounded Maryland on the glass for a +16 rebound margin including 16 offensive rebounds. The Cavs may also have the easiest schedule left out of anybody in the ACC with their toughest game remaining at Virginia Tech. They seem to be just playing for a seed at this point. My question is, how did this team get blown out by Utah and struggle mightily versus Puerto Rico Mayaguez? I'm sure they'll never want to play in the Puerto Rico Shootout again.
As for Maryland, they're in a world of hurt now with five really tough games upcoming. Another N.I.T if they can't get going. Out of my bracket projection they go unless they can bounce back and beat Duke this Sunday. Actually, I fully expect them to do it.

San Diego State 62 Air Force 41
I mean, I predicted SDSU to win but not like this. I do think people forget how talented this Aztec team is though and they're as good of a bet than anybody to win the conference tourney for the auto bid. The Falcons can still do more damage to their seeding with remaining games at New Mexico and UNLV along with a rematch with BYU to end the year at home.

No comments: